Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Real Star Wars fans will only see the last two duds once: Nobody will ever replace Lucas, and nobody should try, but I would be willing to see what Ronnie has to offer. I was deeply disturbed my adult kids liked the last 2 "Disney" movies, I feel I failed them as a parent. Most of my facebook friends know I was an AV producer in Toronto for many years; sequencing static images was my job. I helped design leading edge software at the time. In that regard I worked at Video Art for awhile, I met Dave Geldart a rookie animation artist. Dave and his pal Frank had an IBM XT and were doing their best to make a round wheel for a racing car they were working on. I waltzed in with the mother of all software programs at the time AVX Software, way more elegant than the patchwork program used to make Jurassic Park, a little something our team at Globestock whipped up. Next thing you know Dave steps up, joins the Alias development team, gets good, gets real good. Only one kind of animation artist gets to join the Lucas crew says Dave : "self taught". Dave went on to supervise 240 animation artists at the same time to produce all of the early Star Wars movies. When he finally returned home to TO after the most illustrious career an animation artist could ever have, I contacted him. I asked him; "do you remember you and Frank sitting in front of the XT trying to make a round wheel". We laughed. I called him for a reason, I wanted him to see the first major work by my son Alex and his friend Wesley George did, in his early 20's at the time. Dave asked me: "where did he study?" I told him he is self taught". Dave said: "OK" I will look at it. The lead hand for Lucas reviewing Alexs' work; pretty cool. Dave's comments were; "crude, shows promise". Dave went on to explain, the only artist that ever make it to his level are all self taught. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmMQJ386Jv4&t=11s That was 15 years ago when Alex started that project.


No comments:

Post a Comment